Crazy Golf in Edinburgh: A Fun and Unique Experience
When it comes to enjoying a day out with friends or family in Edinburgh, there is no shortage of exciting activities to choose from. One such activity that promises fun and laughter for all ages is crazy golf. Also known as mini-golf or adventure golf, crazy golf offers a unique twist to the traditional game of golf. In this article, we will explore the world of crazy golf in Edinburgh, highlighting the best courses, the unique challenges they offer, and why it’s a must-try experience for both locals and tourists.
1. The History of Crazy Golf
Before we dive into the crazy golf scene in Edinburgh, let’s take a brief look at its history. Crazy golf originated in the late 19th century in Scotland, making it a fitting choice for an activity in the capital city. Initially designed as a recreational game for women, it quickly gained popularity among people of all ages and genders. Today, crazy golf courses can be found worldwide, each offering its own distinct features and themes.
2. Top Crazy Golf Courses in Edinburgh
2.1. Edinburgh Adventure Golf
Located in the heart of the city, Edinburgh Adventure Golf is a popular destination for crazy golf enthusiasts. With two exciting courses to choose from, visitors can test their skills amidst stunning landscapes and challenging obstacles. The courses are beautifully designed, incorporating elements of Scottish history and culture. From navigating through rocky terrains to putting through castle ruins, every hole offers a delightful surprise.
2.2. Jurassic Parrr Adventure Golf
For those who are fascinated by dinosaurs, Jurassic Parrr Adventure Golf is the perfect choice. Situated on the outskirts of Edinburgh, this course takes players on a prehistoric journey. With life-sized animatronic dinosaurs lurking around every corner, players must putt their way through ancient jungles and treacherous caves. It’s an adventure that combines history and fun in a truly memorable way.
2.3. Treasure Island Adventure Golf
If you’re looking for a swashbuckling good time, Treasure Island Adventure Golf is the place to be. Set sail on a pirate-themed course, complete with cascading waterfalls, hidden treasure chests, and pirate ships. As you navigate through the challenging holes, you’ll feel like a true buccaneer on a quest for treasure. The detailed design and interactive elements make this course a hit among both children and adults.
3. Why Crazy Golf is a Must-Try Experience
Crazy golf offers a host of benefits that make it a must-try experience in Edinburgh:
3.1. Fun for All Ages
Crazy golf is a game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or a complete novice, the whimsical nature of crazy golf ensures that everyone has a great time. It’s a fantastic activity for families, groups of friends, or even a unique date idea.
3.2. Unleash Your Competitive Spirit
While crazy golf is all about having fun, it also brings out your competitive side. The challenging obstacles and tricky holes add an element of excitement and friendly competition. You’ll find yourself strategizing, aiming for that hole-in-one, and celebrating victories with your fellow players.
3.3. Unique Themes and Engaging Atmosphere
Each crazy golf course in Edinburgh boasts its own unique theme, creating an immersive and engaging atmosphere. From mystical lands to historical eras, these courses transport you to a different world as you play. The attention to detail in the design and decorations adds to the overall experience, making it truly unforgettable.
3.4. Enhance Your Golf Skills
Crazy golf may be a fun activity, but it also helps improve your golf skills. The smaller and more challenging holes require precision and control. As you navigate through obstacles, slopes, and curves, you’ll develop better hand-eye coordination and fine-tune your putting technique.
3.5. Great Social Experience
One of the best aspects of crazy golf is its ability to bring people together. Whether you’re playing with family, friends, or even strangers, it creates a social and interactive environment. You’ll share laughs, cheer each other on, and create lasting memories as you conquer the whimsical courses together.
Crazy golf in Edinburgh is an experience like no other. From the intriguing history of the game to the top-notch courses available, it offers a delightful combination of fun, competition, and adventure. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, make sure to include a round of crazy golf in your Edinburgh itinerary. It’s a guaranteed way to create lasting memories and enjoy a fantastic day out with your loved ones.
Tips and Suggestions for Your Crazy Golf Day Out in Edinburgh
Crazy golf is a fun and exciting way to enjoy some friendly competition and challenge your skills in a unique setting. Whether you are looking for a family outing, a date night, a birthday party, or a corporate event, crazy golf can offer you an unforgettable experience. Here are some tips and suggestions for your crazy golf day out in Edinburgh:
- Plan ahead: Book your tickets online in advance to secure your preferred time slot and avoid disappointment. You can also check the opening hours, prices, and directions of the venue on their website. Some venues may have special offers or discounts for groups, students, or early birds.
- Dress comfortably: Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that allow you to move freely and swing your club. You may also want to bring a jacket or sweater in case it gets chilly inside the venue. Some venues may have a dress code or theme, so make sure you check before you go.
- Be respectful: Follow the rules and etiquette of the venue and respect the staff and other players. Don’t jump the queue, don’t damage the course, don’t cheat, and don’t be rude or noisy. Have fun but be considerate of others.
- Try something new: Don’t be afraid to try out different courses and themes that suit your taste and mood. You can find a variety of crazy golf venues in Edinburgh, from retro arcade games to pop culture references to scrapheap junkyard. Each course has its own unique features, obstacles, and surprises that will keep you entertained and challenged.
- Enjoy the extras: Many crazy golf venues in Edinburgh also offer other amenities and attractions that you can enjoy before or after your game. You can grab a bite or a drink at their pizzeria or bar, play some bowling or arcade games, or watch some live entertainment or comedy shows. You can also explore the city’s culture and attractions nearby, such as the Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, or the Princes Street Gardens.
What You Will See, Hear, and Feel at the Top Crazy Golf Venues in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is home to some of the best crazy golf venues in the UK, offering you a thrilling and immersive experience that will stimulate your senses. Here are some of the things that you will see, hear, and feel at the top crazy golf venues in Edinburgh:
- Fore Play Crazy Golf: This is the first of its kind in Scotland, a locally-inspired social experience offering fun for grown ups. You will see 18 bespoke crazy golf holes that reflect the city’s landmarks, history, and culture, such as the Forth Bridge, the Scott Monument, or the Fringe Festival. You will hear upbeat music and lively chatter from your fellow players and staff. You will feel the excitement and adrenaline as you try to score a hole-in-one while avoiding tricky obstacles and hazards.
- Scrapheap Golf: This is Edinburgh’s newest unique indoor golf experience. You will see 9 holes of madness in a scrapheap themed course that features halfpipes, heavy machinery, and hazardous terrain. You will hear metal clanging, engines roaring, and sirens blaring as you navigate through the junkyard. You will feel the thrill and challenge as you test your skills and luck on this unconventional course.
- Portal Golf: This is a pop culture and arcade game inspired mini crazy golf course. You will see 18 holes of retro mini golf that are inspired by your favourite arcade games, pop culture icons, and Stranger Things. You will hear nostalgic sounds and tunes from classic games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, or Tetris. You will feel the nostalgia and fun as you travel back to the 80s and play mini golf with a twist.
How To Choose The Best Crazy Golf Venue in Edinburgh
With so many options available, how do you choose the best crazy golf venue in Edinburgh for your occasion? Here are some factors that you may want to consider:
- Location: Depending on where you are staying or travelling from, you may want to choose a venue that is convenient and accessible for you. Some venues are located in the city centre, while others are on the outskirts or suburbs. You may also want to check the parking facilities or public transport options nearby.
- Theme: Depending on your preference or mood, you may want to choose a venue that has a theme that appeals to you. Some venues have a local or Scottish theme, while others have a more global or universal theme. Some venues have a more realistic or natural theme, while others have a more fantastical or whimsical theme.
- Difficulty: Depending on your skill level or desire for challenge, you may want to choose a venue that has a difficulty level that suits you. Some venues have easier or simpler courses, while others have harder or more complex courses. Some venues have more obstacles or hazards, while others have more open or clear spaces.
- Extras: Depending on your budget or time, you may want to choose a venue that has extras that you can enjoy before or after your game. Some venues have food and drink options, while others have entertainment or gaming options. Some venues have special offers or discounts, while others have regular prices or fees.
How to Enjoy Edinburgh’s Culture and Attractions Besides Crazy Golf
Crazy golf is a great way to have fun and relax in Edinburgh, but it is not the only thing that you can do in this beautiful and historic city. Edinburgh has a rich and diverse culture and a plethora of attractions that you can explore and enjoy besides crazy golf. Here are some of the ways that you can enjoy Edinburgh’s culture and attractions besides crazy golf:
- Visit the museums and galleries: Edinburgh has a wealth of museums and galleries that showcase the city’s art, history, science, and culture. You can visit the National Museum of Scotland, the Scottish National Gallery, the Museum of Edinburgh, the Royal Botanic Garden, or the Dynamic Earth, among many others.
- Explore the castles and monuments: Edinburgh has a stunning and impressive architecture that reflects its royal and medieval heritage. You can visit the Edinburgh Castle, the Holyrood Palace, the St Giles’ Cathedral, the Scott Monument, or the Calton Hill, among many others.
- Experience the festivals and events: Edinburgh is famous for its festivals and events that celebrate its music, comedy, literature, film, and theatre. You can experience the Edinburgh Festival
- Fringe, the Edinburgh International Film Festival, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, or the Hogmanay, among many others.
- Enjoy the nature and scenery: Edinburgh has a beautiful and varied landscape that offers you a breath of fresh air and a scenic view. You can enjoy the Princes Street Gardens, the Arthur’s Seat, the Water of Leith, or the Portobello Beach, among many others.
Apart from Mini Golf The Best Places to Play Pool, and Arcade Games in Edinburgh
Apart from mini golf, there are many other places to play pool and arcade games in Edinburgh. Whether you are looking for a fun night out with friends, a family day out, or a date night, you can find something to suit your preferences and budget. Here are some of the best places to play pool and arcade games in Edinburgh:
- Tenpin Edinburgh Fountain Park: This is a great place to enjoy bowling, pool, arcade, food and drinks all under one roof. You can choose from 24 bowling lanes, a pool hall, a ping pong table, and a variety of arcade games. You can also enjoy tasty pizza, burgers, nachos and more from the restaurant and bar. Tenpin Edinburgh Fountain Park also offers bowling parties, kids parties, student deals and corporate events.
- The Realm VR: If you are looking for a more immersive and futuristic experience, you can try virtual reality at The Realm VR. You can choose from over 50 VR games and experiences, ranging from action-packed shooters, horror games, escape rooms, puzzle games, sports games and more. You can play solo or with up to four friends in the same VR room. The Realm VR also has a lounge area where you can relax and enjoy snacks and drinks.
- Lane7: Lane7 is another place where you can have fun with bowling, pool, darts and arcade games. You can also try your hand at batting cages, where you can hit baseballs at different speeds and angles. Lane7 also has a bar and restaurant where you can enjoy cocktails, craft beers, burgers, pizzas and more. Lane7 is a perfect place for parties, dates and social gatherings.
Is crazy golf suitable for children?
Absolutely! Crazy golf is a family-friendly activity that children of all ages can enjoy. The whimsical themes and engaging obstacles make it an exciting adventure for kids.
Do I need to bring my own golf clubs?
No, all the necessary equipment, including golf clubs and balls, are provided by the crazy golf courses. You can simply show up and start playing.
How long does a round of crazy golf usually take?
The duration of a round can vary depending on the number of players and the pace of the game. On average, it takes around 1-2 hours to complete a course.
Can I book a crazy golf course in advance?
Yes, it’s recommended to check the course’s website or contact them in advance to make a booking, especially during peak seasons or weekends.
Is crazy golf suitable for corporate events or team-building activities?
Yes, crazy golf can be a fantastic option for corporate events or team-building activities. It promotes teamwork, communication, and friendly competition in a relaxed and enjoyable setting.
Crazy Golf Venues in the United Kingdom
Crazy Golf in Sale
Crazy Golf in Altrincham
Crazy Golf in Chinatown
Crazy Golf in Northern Quarter
Crazy Golf in Spinningfields
Crazy Golf in Belle Vue
Crazy Golf in Castlefield
Crazy Golf in Old Trafford